SCHENECTADY—In addition to its groundbreaking Broadway Camp and its already robust slate of lessons and workshops, the School of the Performing Arts at Proctors is expanding its summer opportunities in Schenectady, as well as Capital Repertory Theatre in Albany, adding classes in dance, animation and acting.
This year’s Broadway Camp will feature students working on all aspects of the Elton John & Tim Rice classicAida, from acting and building sets to playing in the orchestra, culminating in performances, Aug. 3–4. Applications for the production team are due May 18; musician auditions are June 6–7.
New acting options for young people include Acting for the Camera, Non-Musical Acting and Improv and Theatrical Clowning. Hip Hop Dance brings a modern edge, serving as a corollary to Broadway Dance. And great cinematic offerings like Reel Adventures and Filmmaking Academy are augmented by the region’s only Stop Animation class.
“We are invested in education and in expanding training to feed the region’s creative economy,” says Proctors Creative Workforce Manager Grace Janiszewski. “With these classes, students learn and earn real world skills that will serve them as they pursue further education and employment in the arts.”
The list of summer classes offered by the School of the Performing Arts at Proctors includes:
- Broadway Camp Jr. – July 9–13, Ages: 12–14
- Costume Design – July 9–13, Ages: 10–14
- Acting Out! (Session 1) – July 9–13, Ages: 7–1
- Stop Animation – July 9–13, Ages: 14–18
- Stage and Special FX Make-Up – July 16–20, Ages: 11–14
- Acting Out! (Session 2) – July 16–20, Ages: 7–10
- Acting Intensive (Session 1) – July 16–20, Ages: 14–18
- Hip Hop Dance – July 16–20, Ages: 12–18
- Filmmaking Academy – July 16–27, Ages: 15–18
- Broadway Dance – July 23–27, Ages: 10–14
- Dance Lab – July 23–27, Ages: 10–14
- Improv & Theatrical Clowning – July 23–27, Ages: 10–13
- Summer Stage Young Acting Company – July 23–Aug. 10 (auditions May 26)
- Acting for the Camera – July 30–Aug. 3, Ages: 14–18
- Improv Zone – July 30–Aug. 3, Ages: 14–18
- Non-Musical Acting – July 30–Aug. 3, Ages: 10–13
- Reel Adventures – July 30–Aug. 10, Ages: 10–14
- Acting Intensive (Session 2) – Aug. 6–10, Ages: 12–18
- Creating Effects: Advanced Makeup – Aug. 6–10, Ages: 15–18
For full details on individual classes, visit https://school.proctors.org/summer-programs-2018/
Registration for all programs is available at (518) 382-3884 ext. 139. Financial assistance and payment plans available.
Workforce development programs at Proctors are administered in partnership with SEFCU.